- Your days are literally longer. By waking up early, you’re squeezing the most out of your day and have more time to do the things that you love to do, as well as the things that you have to do.
- It’s the most serene part of the day! I don’t know about anyone else, but I am always awake first at my place and I would never trade in an extra hour or two of sleep for my chunk of solitude in the morning. I make my breakfast listening to the birds and Sinbad, our squirrel who hangs out on the electrical line outside of our fire escape, instead of the hustle and bustle of the city swarming with commuters. When I wake up, the city is still more or less silent.
- Speaking of breakfast, when you wake up early you have more time to make and truly enjoy a healthy and hearty breakfast! What sounds better, eating a banana in your car on the way to work on a week day, or waking up a few minutes early to prepare a feast that will keep you going until lunch (or snack) time? Even on the weekends, if you sleep the day away, then you don’t have the time to relish in the fact that the whole beautiful, work-less day is ahead of you after you eat your delicious first meal!
- The morning is the perfect time to work out! By working out in the morning, you start your day in the most positive way possible; you treat your body to some endorphins right away, boosting the chances for a positive day and healthy choices throughout that day! Also, if you’re working out outside, you get to enjoy the morning beauty and some fresh air in your lungs before your daily obligations/routine.
- You sleep better at night! By waking up early, you’re most likely going to get tired a little earlier, and increase your chances for a good night’s sleep. I know that when I don’t get a solid night’s sleep I am a royal bitch/mindless zombie the next day, so I try to keep my sleep schedule pretty consistent. By waking up early and packing as much as I can into my day, I fall asleep because I am tired, not because I am trying to force myself to get some z’s in. And better yet, I go to sleep with the knowledge that my day was used to its fullest potential.
- You have more energy throughout the day! This is a BIGGIE for me. I am naturally a very energetic and enthusiastic person, but if I stay up too late one night and set my alarm a few minutes or so later than I normally do, I don’t have the same spring in my step during the day that I normally would. If I don’t give myself enough time in the morning to fully wake up before I hustle off to work or any other commitments, I am still tired and in the process of waking up when I get there instead of awake, alert, and prepared for the day ahead. Plus, when I give myself enough time to fully wake up in the morning, I have more time to put on a sick outfit, give myself an awesome hair do, and look my best.
I am, always have been, and always will be an early bird. I truly feel that I get that worm.